goose tree recognition is a blog about dreams

This blog is named for the Welsh word, gwydd (pronounced "gweethe" or "goo-eethe"). On it I write dreams I've had, as snatched from my dream journal. I make as few edits as possible, but will change language to clarify or add content as I remember it. Parentheses are side notes that are in the journal. Square braces indicate notes added for the blog.

On dream log details

These early sleeping and waking entries don't follow the ideals I'm about to describe, but that's because I hadn't learned them yet. I feel compelled to write these now, because these are really - for lack of a better word - amateur dream logs. If only for my own satisfaction, I have to admit out loud that this is true, which I've done already, and explain why. Here's the explanation.

Dream logs should contain details from every level of hierarchy:
Top level, like "I'm in my pre-school making crafts. Then suddenly I'm walking a dog.";
Mid level, like "Erin and Austin are there as kids. Although their faces are not their own, I recognize who they are. I don't remember where they were standing." and "The big round window behind me is the only light and there's a blue haze over everything.";
And, this is the hard part, low level, like "The project is to make a noodle picture frame. I'm sitting alone at a short yellow circular textured plastic table about 3 feet wide with a 2 inch hole at the center. My chair is hard to balance and it takes focus to not fall over. I can feel that my frame is for my grandfather. The pasta is hollow, round fettucini and we are piercing it through glass (1/8th inch thick) by twisting with both hands as one might start a fire by grinding a stick into a block."

That last level of detail is what helps you recall the memory later when you read over it, and it's what builds your connection with your subconscious, which is what it's all about, as far as I'm concerned. The more of those tiny pieces you can squeeze out of your short term memory and put into your long term memory, the better. With practice it becomes easier, and the reward of the strong connection to your subconscious carries into waking life. There's so much world your mind constructs for you in a dream, and every detail is there for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment